While Greenworks Lawn Care plants seeds in Carmel, Indianapolis, Westfield, Noblesville, Zionsville, and Fishers, we also plant seeds worldwide. One of our company values is social responsibility, and our partnership with Hope Refuge School in Kachomo, Uganda, has given us the chance to use our resources and our agricultural knowledge to empower others.
The partnership started in January of 2013 when Josh Wilson, the founder of Hope Refuge School, invited Bill Greenwood, the owner of Greenworks, for a visit to Uganda. During his visit Greenwood saw the extreme poverty, war, and disease that afflicted so many people in Uganda. However, he also saw a beacon of hope forming in the community — the new school. After meeting the incredible students and teachers of Hope Refuge School, Greenwood knew that he wanted his business to be a supporter.
The school has already built five buildings that serve as classrooms and dorms. They’ve also dug a clean-water well. Before this well was built, most people in the community had to drink contaminated water. Now the well provides clean water for over 5,000 people weekly.
While the school has made amazing progress, they still need help attaining their ultimate vision: a self-sustaining school that holistically cares for children while equipping them to empower their community. Contact us today at (317) 663-0222 to find out how you can help.
To complete its vision, the school is planning the following steps:
- Buying farmland: To be self-sufficient, the school needs to grow its own food. They’re in the process of purchasing farmland and learning how to sow a variety of crops.
- Purchasing livestock: After learning how to grow food, the next step will be purchasing livestock so the children will have a healthy diet of meat, eggs, and fresh milk.
- Providing medical care: Every child needs vaccinations and healthcare to thrive. Wilson plans to do biannual medical mission trips to provide vaccinations and other care.
- Constructing more buildings: The school needs to build 20 more buildings so it has enough room to board, teach, and care for the children.
- Establishing sponsorships: Many of the students who attend the school are orphans with no one to care for them. Each orphan needs a sponsor to help them buy clothes and books and to cover other school costs.
To help this dream become a reality, Greenworks is partnering with Hope Refuge School to help buy land and farming equipment. We’re currently in the process of shipping an agricultural tractor to Uganda. We also are going to train the school’s teachers about the best farming techniques.
While much has already been accomplished, the school still needs to raise $600,000 to reach its goal, plus additional support for the orphans who will attend. Contact us today at (317) 663-0222 to sponsor a child or to donate money.
At Greenworks, we plant more than just seeds. We’re planting hope — and we need your help. Team up with Greenworks, and we’ll help Hope Refuge School transform the lives of the children in Uganda. We look forward to partnering with you for an incredible cause!